Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Painting Progress

I've recently finished some long-overdue painting on two regiments of Luftberg infantry. One is a Hungarian outfit, which I was doing in the dry-brushing style before the xmas present 'dip' method. Once I had this, I wanted a little mini-experiment to compare the two methods, so I needed a second regiment done as basic colourscheme & then both 'dipped'. My aim was to compare the results, and look at how 'dipping' my existing models might turn out.

Thanks to the freezing loft, I've not got some photos quite yet, but the results are pretty good. Both methods look pretty comparable, but I don't think I'll have to re-'dip' the old painted figures as you can't tell the methods apart at a glance, plus some of the dark areas can, once dipped, look a little bit too extensive.

Next up is to finally break with my old DBA-style basing system, and tear off my existing figures for re-mounting on the new MFD bases. The armies'll be unable to meet on the tabletop for a fair while, but it's got to happen at some stage.

So - steady & worthy progress, but nothing too showy. I hope everybody else is keeping occupied productively through dark january!

6 comments:

Bluebear Jeff said...

Arrrgh,

You KNOW we want photos, don't you. Nice good close-ups as well as a decent mid-distance shot.


-- Jeff

Capt Bill said...

Once you've committed to rebasing the hard part is over, now its a matter of a lot of hard work. Hang in there, I know you'll be pleased when its done...Bill

abdul666 said...

Looking for the pics!
Cheers,
Jean-Louis

A J said...

Looking forward to seeing pictures too. I use a variation on the dip method, brushing on a mix of Klear floor polish with black or sepia brown ink mixed in. The ratio I use is about a teaspoon of Klear with 3-4 drops of ink. More than this makes the figure too dark.

Snickering Corpses said...

If I might make a suggestion, instead of basing all of one army and then basing all of the other, find yourself a small scenario that looks interesting, and set aside the troops for it from both armies. Rebase those first. Reward yourself with a small game. Then look for a medium scenario, and set aside the troops for it. Rebase. Reward. Repeat.

This will give you a more enticing goal to work towards than "I've gotta rebase everything."

Fitz-Badger said...

Great suggestion, SC!
I'm looking forward to photos, too.
I've been a bit remiss with painting since the holidays, finally getting a bit done lately. Trying to see if I can finish off another unit to post before January is gone.